If you are an American citizen wishing to visit New Zealand, it is important to note that you will need a travel permit to do so. The NZeTA is a standard document that most tourists for US citizens need to submit before visiting New Zealand.
The NZeTA allows travellers from the US to visit New Zealand. eTA allows US citizens to avoid lengthy visa applications in person at the New Zealand Embassy.
What is the NZeTA for US citizens?
The New Zealand eTA for Americans (also spelled “NZeTA”) was introduced in 2019 to allow eligible nationals to travel to New Zealand for transit, tourism, or business purposes.
The New Zealand ETA is available to citizens of more than 170 countries, including those from the United States. The process of obtaining a New Zealand eTA for US residents is quick and easy.
What is New Zealand e-Travel Authority (NZeTA)?
US citizens traveling to or transiting through New Zealand under the Visa Waiver Program must have an NZeTA. This also applies to cruise ship passengers. NZeTA can take up to 72 hours to process, so apply well in advance of your trip. The NZeTA is valid for up to two years for multiple visits. If your NZeTA application is rejected, you will need to apply for a visa. Travelers from visa-exempt or visa-exempt countries transiting through New Zealand must have an NZeTA from 1 October 2019 even if New Zealand is not their final destination. The International Tourism and Conservation Levy (IVL) is a way to contribute directly to the tourism infrastructure you use and help protect the natural environment you enjoy while in New Zealand. Most visitors will also need to pay for an IVL, which is paid at the same time you apply for the NZeTA.
Do US citizens need a New Zealand eTA to enter the country?
Yes, any US citizen wishing to enter New Zealand for a short stay must have an electronically approved eTA linked to their passport. An approved New Zealand eTA is required for US citizens to visit the country for short stays for the following purposes:
- Travel and tourism (both by plane and cruise)
- visiting friends and family
- Business visits, including business schedules, meetings, conferences, get together, and seminars
- Transit through New Zealand to onward destination
- Travel as airline and cruise ship crew
- New Zealand eTA is valid for 2 years from the date of issue. US citizens can live in New Zealand for up to 3 months at a time with their eTA.
- As the New Zealand eTA is a multiple-entry eVisa waiver, holders can visit New Zealand multiple times within the two-year validity period.
- Documents required for US citizens to apply for an eTA in New Zealand
- A passport valid for at least three months from the intended date of entry
- arrival and departure dates
- A valid credit or debit card is required to pay applicable eTA fees.
- New Zealand's official eTA will be emailed to this email address.
- Recent passport photo of the applicant.
How to Apply for New Zealand's eTA for Americans?
- To apply for an ETA from the United States to New Zealand, US citizens must complete a short online application form that asks for the traveler's personal and passport information.
- Applicants must provide full name, contact details, and passport information (passport number, date of issue, expiration date). They will need to answer a few questions about their criminal history (if any) and whether they visited New Zealand for medical treatment.
- Once the application is complete, tourists must pay an eTA fee and a small Visitor and Tourism Protection (IVL) fee, which is used to protect the environment and offset the traveller’s carbon footprint. IVL fees are now included in New Zealand's total eTA fees.
- US citizens need to double-check eTA applications to ensure all information provided is correct before submitting the form. Because the slightest mistake can slow down or even cancel the application. You must resubmit your eTA if it is rejected.
- US citizens visiting New Zealand with their family must ensure that each family member completes their separate eTA application form, whether or not included in the passport.
- US citizens must allow sufficient time to apply for their New Zealand eTA.
- It is recommended that this form be submitted at least one week before the planned trip.
Take a trip from the United States to New Zealand
Once you have obtained a New Zealand ETA for US citizens, travellers can print a valid copy to show at border control to start planning their trip to New Zealand. Once approved, the New Zealand ETA for US citizens remains digitally linked to the traveller’s passport, eliminating the need to always physically stamp your passport upon arrival.
You can apply for NZETA for US Citizen via our website. Please fill the form. apply for a regular ETA